This article originally appeared in the May/June 2016 issue of Northern Gardener.
The “father of the orchardists” and “godfather” of the Minnesota State Horticultural Society, John S. Harris (1826-1901) left a sweet and juicy legacy.
Harris grew up on a farm in Ohio where he began his own small nursery at age 11. After serving in the Mexican War, Harris moved, in 1851, to La Crosse, Wis., where he was married in the second wedding held in the young city.
He and his bride, Melissa, started their market gardening business but soon decided that the grass was greener and the soil more accommodating on the other side of the river. They moved to La Crescent in 1856 where they established Sunny Side Gardens, a fruit, flower and vegetable farm. In the farm’s second season, Harris began to grow apple trees.
Although most people agreed with Horace Greeley’s notorious 1860 assessment that apples wouldn’t grow in the often-harsh conditions of the brand-new state, Harris was undeterred. He planted more trees every year, thousands in total. He shared his experiences, along with apples and seeds, with his neighbors. In his persistent pursuit of apples that would thrive in Minnesota, Harris experimented with hundreds of varieties, most of which, he admitted, were failures.
At the 1866 Minnesota State Fair, his exhibit of 20 apple varieties inspired the state’s fruit growers to form the Minnesota Fruit Growers Association. In 1868, the group changed its name to the Minnesota Horticultural Society and Harris was elected president the following year.
He served two terms as president and he continued to farm and exhibit his produce for the rest of his life. His entries won nine prizes at the 1900 state fair, and he died “with his boots on,” as he had said he wished to, about six months later.