You’ve seen them on Instagram: fabulous topiary or kokedama, lush patio pots, succulents or houseplants on steroids. Maybe you’re a container gardener with potted plants that should be on Instagram? (Or already are!) For a real-life plant experience, consider entering your favorites in the MSHS State Fair Potted Plant Show, which runs the first two days of the fair (Aug. 23-24).
This show features unique and unusual plant collections along with a large variety of houseplants, hanging baskets, vines, dish gardens, herb containers and terrariums. The show is open to amateurs of all ages and experience levels.
Here’s how to enter:
- Check out the show rules and categories on the MSHS website. Decide how many potted plants you want to enter.
- If you want, you can pre-register for the show, but you do not have to do this.
- Just before the show, give your potted plants a “health check.” Plants with diseases or pests will be disqualified. (We don’t want to spread any nastiness around given the number of plants at the fairgrounds.)
- On the Wednesday before the fair (Aug. 22), come to the fairgrounds with your plants. You can enter through Gate 7 on Como Avenue (yes, you can drive in!), and come to the Agriculture/Horticulture Building. We will be on the south side of the building on Judson Avenue to register your plants and take care of all the details!
- While you are there, be sure to pick up a parking pass for Friday, which is when you will pick up your plants.
- Come to the fair Thursday or Friday to see if you won any blue ribbons!!
- Then, on Friday at 9 p.m., use your parking pass to come into the fairgrounds and pick up your plants.
The Minnesota State Fair is such a wonderful tradition in our state. We hope you will participate this year by showing some of your best pots and plants.
See you at the fair!