Recipe from the kitchen of longtime member, volunteer and administrative support staff Sue Hoehn.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions
- 2 lbs eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced or minced
- 4 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 3 bell peppers, red or yellow
- 4 large tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- A pinch of sugar
- Fresh thyme leaves stripped from 3 sprigs
- 1/4 cup chopped, fresh flat lead (Italian) parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped or torn fresh basil leaves
Heat oil in large, heavy pot over medium heat. Add onions and saute for 10 minutes or until tender. Add eggplant and garlic and saute for 5 minutes. Add zucchini and bell peppers and saute for 5 minutes. Mix in chopped tomatoes, salt, pepper and sugar. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender and flavors are blended. Stir in thyme, parsley and basil and cook for 5 minutes. Add additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm, cold or room temperature.