Who Qualifies for Garden-in-a-Box?
We partner with nonprofit and community organizations and schools to distribute vegetable gardening kits. GIAB participants receive free vegetable garden kits (valued at $150 each) along with gardening educational materials and support. There is no cost to you! This program is funded through generous foundation grants, support from individual donors and local garden partners.
Preferred Characteristics of a GIAB Participant:
- Works with youth and low-income families to help them learn about the benefits of growing vegetables and gain easy/affordable access to healthy foods.
- Has a high amount of participants actively gardening (planting, maintenance, and harvest).
- Has multiple staff/volunteers dedicated to assisting Garden-in-a-Box program participants.
- Can commit to working with the Garden-in-a-Box program (receiving free plants, supplies, and support yearly) for 3 years.
Requirements for GIAB Participation:
- Box will receive a minimum of 5 to 7 hours of sun daily.
- Box has access to water. Overhead (sprinkler) watering is not recommended.
- Have approval of landlord to place the 3’ x 3’ garden container on the property.
- Box is not suitable for balconies or wooden decks. If necessary, boxes may be placed on slightly uneven or solid surfaces like concrete or gravel.
- Arrange to pick up all materials from a distribution site and deliver them to the garden location.
- Fully plant the boxes and confirm names and locations of the planting address within two weeks of pick up.
- Make instruction and/or classes available to program participants at no charge.
- Maintain and harvest the box for the full growing season (June through September).
- Please respond promptly to requests for photos, stories and testimonials about your program, and harvest records when requested.
- Agree to keep all contact information current during this growing season and to be available to assist with site visits.
- Complete the final evaluation form to documenting how you used all resources.