How To Apply
Requirements of the Program
Preferred Characteristics of Applicants
- Works with youth, families and/or peoples of low-income.
- Has a high amount of participants actively gardening (planting, maintenance, and harvest).
- Multiple staff/volunteers assisting in garden endeavor.
- Staff/volunteers and participants committed to regular (weekly or more) visits to garden.
- Garden activities are linked to overarching educational concepts on horticulture, nutrition, biology, etc.
- Has participants (can be more than one group) tending the garden for entire growing season (May-October).
- Can commit to working with the Garden-in-a-Box program for 3 years.
Requirements for Garden-in-a-Box (GIAB) Program
- Arrange to pick-up all materials from a distribution site in May.
- Fully plant the boxes and confirm garden locations within 2 weeks of pickup.
- Make GIAB kits and directly related activities available at no cost to participants.
- Schedule a site visit with the GIAB Coordinator.
- Maintain and harvest the garden for the FULL growing season. (May-October).
- Respond promptly to requests for: photos of gardens and participants, testimonials and harvest estimates.
- All submitted photos can be used by MSHS to promote the program and MSHS’ mission, now and in the future, for any purpose that supports MSHS’ mission, including but not limited to: materials used for educational, promotional, advertising and fundraising purposes.
- Complete the final evaluation form.
We hope you will help us bring a passion for gardening to families and children, building skills they can use for a lifetime.
If you contacted us previously and were added to our wait list, you will receive an invitation to apply for the 2020 program when the application form is available.