How to Participate in Garden-in-a-Box
This year's application window ended March 23rd, but you can still apply to join our waitlist. If a space doesn't open up this year, we'll reach out to you in early 2021 so you have early access to join. Ready to apply? Click on the green button below to print a 2020 GIAB application — complete and return form via email to email@example.com or mail to our Roseville, MN office. We look forward to growing with you!
Preferred Characteristics of Applicants
- Work with youth, low-income, in crisis, or those who would not otherwise have the opportunity to garden
- Will have a high number of participants actively gardening (planting, maintenance, and harvest).
- Multiple staff/volunteers assisting in garden endeavor.
- Staff/volunteers and participants committed to regular (weekly or more) visits to garden.
- Garden activities linked to overarching educational concepts on gardening, nutrition, biology, etc. within your group or organization.
- Have participants (can be more than one group) tending the garden for entire growing season (June-Oct).
- Can commit to working with the Garden-in-a-Box program for 3 years.
Requirements for Garden-in-a-Box Program
- Arrange to pick-up all materials from a distribution site in May. (2019 sites were Saint Paul, NE Minneapolis, Duluth, Wadena, New Ulm, and Rochester)
- Fully plant the boxes and confirm garden locations within 2 weeks of pick-up.
- Make GIAB kits and directly related activities available at no cost to participants.
- Schedule a site visit with the GIAB Coordinator.
- Maintain and harvest the garden for the FULL growing season. (June-September).
- Respond promptly to requests for: photos of gardens and participants, testimonials, and harvest estimates, stay in contact with MSHS and Garden-in-a-Box Coordinator
- All submitted photos can be used by MSHS to promote the program and MSHS’ mission, now and in the future, for any purpose that supports MSHS’ mission, including but not limited to: materials used for educational, promotional, advertising and fundraising purposes.
- Complete the final evaluation form.
If you contacted us previously and were added to our waitlist, you will receive an invitation to apply next year when the application form is available.
We accepted applications March 1—23, 2020. We will follow up with you via email about the status of your application. We hope you will help us bring a passion for gardening to families and children, building skills they can use for a lifetime.