How to Apply
Preferred Characteristics of Applicants
- Work with youth, low-income, in crisis, or those who would not otherwise have the opportunity to garden
- Will have a high number of participants actively gardening (planting, maintenance, and harvest).
- Multiple staff/volunteers assisting in garden endeavor.
- Staff/volunteers and participants committed to regular (weekly or more) visits to garden.
- Garden activities linked to overarching educational concepts on gardening, nutrition, biology, etc. within your group or organization.
- Have participants (can be more than one group) tending the garden for entire growing season (June-Oct).
- Can commit to working with the Garden-in-a-Box program for 3 years.
Requirements for Garden-in-a-Box Program
- Arrange to pick-up all materials from a distribution site in May. (2019 sites were Saint Paul, NE Minneapolis, Duluth, Wadena, New Ulm, and Rochester)
- Fully plant the boxes and confirm garden locations within 2 weeks of pick-up.
- Make GIAB kits and directly related activities available at no cost to participants.
- Schedule a site visit with the GIAB Coordinator.
- Maintain and harvest the garden for the FULL growing season. (June-September).
- Respond promptly to requests for: photos of gardens and participants, testimonials, and harvest estimates, stay in contact with MSHS and Garden-in-a-Box Coordinator
- All submitted photos can be used by MSHS to promote the program and MSHS’ mission, now and in the future, for any purpose that supports MSHS’ mission, including but not limited to: materials used for educational, promotional, advertising and fundraising purposes.
- Complete the final evaluation form.
If you contacted us previously and were added to our waitlist, you will receive an invitation to apply next year when the application form is available.
We are accepting applications March 1—23, 2020. You will be contacted by email about the status of your application. Please respond in a timely manner if accepted. We hope you will help us bring a passion for gardening to families and children, building skills they can use for a lifetime.
We look forward to working with you!