How to Nominate for State Awards
All projects must be based in Minnesota, and all individuals must be from Minnesota or a current member of MSHS. Gardens must be in public places and have involve community.
Awards Committee members are not eligible to receive an award while serving on the committee. MSHS board members are eligible to receive an award for their work beyond board responsibilities.
Upon submission of images, MSHS reserves the right to publish the images in Northern Gardener magazine, enewsletter, website, and/or in various promotional communications. Please obtain permission from the individual pictured in the submitted images for publication.
Entry Procedure & Timeline
Nomination Deadline: August 1
Fill out the nomination form and include all required additional materials. Our Awards Committee will review entries submitted in accordance with these guidelines. Entry materials will not be returned. All nominated individuals and projects will be sent a letter announcing their nomination in late August. Letters will announce whether or not your nomination won an award, but the specific award will not be announced until the awards event. An award will be presented to each winner at our recognition event. Award and certificate winners will be featured in the November/December issue of Northern Gardener magazine.
- Complete our State Award Nomination Form. Please mark the appropriate category or categories in which your nomination should be judged.
- Submit a summary (up to one full page typed). This summary is required as part of the nomination and should include brief statements on the individual or project's background and may include intended purpose, plan of action, implementation activities, positive results, and its impact on the community. The judges' screening of submissions is based on the "Project Summary" and supporting documentation. Please be concise yet give us enough detail to evaluate your nomination.
- Provide photos. For individuals, include 3 digital images or photographs of the individual and the projects where the nominee made outstanding contributions. For groups, include 3 digital images or photographs of the nominated garden and group. All digital photos must be 300 dpi. The images can include pictures of the site before, during, and after the garden was developed, volunteers helping in the garden, and the garden at its peak of flowering or ready to harvest.
- Two letters of support from community members with the nomination. Required for all awards.
- Send completed entry postmarked no later than August 1 to: MSHS State Awards, MSHS, 1935 County Road B2 W Ste 125, Roseville, MN 55113.
How to Nominate for District Awards
Open to all individuals or groups and awarded at the district level by garden clubs.
Entry Procedure & Timeline
Nomination Deadline: Districts set due dates (contact your district representative)
March: MSHS distributes nomination forms to district representatives and garden clubs.
- Complete the District Award Nomination Form and include all required additional materials. Send to your MSHS district representative. The district representative will forward all the completed forms to the MSHS office. DO NOT MAIL TO MSHS.
- Once the districts have selected award winners, the district representative will send a copy of the nomination forms for production of award certificates and documentation into the MSHS Awards database. Please allow four (4) weeks for production.
- MSHS returns the award certificates to the district representative for presentation to the award recipient.