- 4 lbs hard, crisp and tart apples, such as Haralson (half peeled and finely chopped and half unpeeled and diced in a food processor)
- 4 cups natural sugar
- 2 cups dark, seedless raisins
- 4 oz fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 qt malt vinegar
- 1 Tbsp canning salt
- 1 oz red chilis, tied in cheesecloth
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
In a large soup pot, make syrup of vinegar and sugar. Add all other ingredients to syrup and cook for 20-45 minutes or until mixture is fairly thick. Pour in sterile jars, place lids and tightly secure rings on jars to seal.
Makes 12 8-oz jars.